Even if you do not own a boiler, you may need this coverage. The term boiler and machinery insurance is gradually being replaced with terms such as equipment breakdown or mechanical breakdown coverage. This insurance provides coverage against the sudden and accidental breakdown of boilers, machinery or equipment, including computer systems and telephones/communication systems. Coverage usually includes reimbursement for property damage, expediting expenses (e.g., express transportation charges), and business interruption losses.